As a congregation, we gather to worship God, to teach and to nurture each other in the Anabaptist faith, with openness to the Holy Spirit’s leading.
As a people, we scatter to witness and to serve in ways that demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ, to give hope in our community and work for peace in our world.
Elmira Mennonite Church was organized as a congregation of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario on August 31, 1924. Most of the charter members of the congregation had been members of the Floradale Mennonite Church. Our congregation is now a member of the Mennonite Church of Eastern Canada and Mennonite Church Canada.
Abraham Gingrich served as bishop and Oliver D. Snider as our pastor for the first twelve years. Others who have led Elmira Mennonite as Deacon, Pastor, Associate Pastor or Interim Pastor are: Reuben Dettwiler, Aaron Martin, Howard S. Bauman, Edwin Weber, Vernon R. Leis, Maurice Martin, Stephen Dick, Marvin Shank, Douglas Snyder, Gary Knarr, Ray Brubacher, Ken Bechtel, Mary Scheidel, Gordon Alton, Dale Bauman, Ruth Anne Laverty, Winston Martin, Renee Sauder, Johanna Wall and Steven Janzen. Currently we are served by Fred Lichti as Pastor and Jonathan Brubacher as Youth Worker.
A number of members of the Elmira Mennonite Church became charter members of Bethel, Hawkesville and Zion congregations when they were organized. Elmira has also nurtured a considerable number of church leaders who are serving in various locations.
The original structure was built in 1924. In 1955, an educational wing was added. An entrance with ramps, new washrooms, and a new kitchen, as well as library and classroom space were all included in the 1976 addition. In 1992, some alterations in the church basement and re-decorating the entire building resulted in an attractive and functional facility for our congregation’s activities. An extensive renovation in 2009 provided welcoming and functional office space in addition to a combined adult and children’s library, refreshed classrooms and deliberate storage. In 2011 a basement renovation was undertaken; in-floor heating was installed and acoustic tile was added to the ceiling. Most recently a lift was installed allowing those with mobility issues a greater degree of independence in navigating between the levels of the church building.